Location drawing is a technical drawing of the building that gives a total view of the architectural structure. It describes the location of the building as well as where to place each and every part of building etc. Location drawings are used by architects for several purposes; for developing a design idea into a proposal, for communicating ideas as well as concepts, for convincing clients of the advantages of the design, for enabling the building contractor in the construction process and for making a record of an architectural structure, which already exists.
- Block plans of a project is often created in relation to Ordnance Survey plans. It is created to show the relation between different buildings in the block, Conventions are used mainly for depicting boundaries, roads and all other details.
- Site plans function is to show the location of the building, typography of the site, extent of earthworks, layout of the external lighting, buildings that are to be demolished or removed and more.
- Elevations show the building's outline, level datums, floor position and opening details and sizes. With elevations, one can know how the face of the building will look from outside. Exterior elevations include ceiling heights and floor, dimensions of roof overhangs and standard windows, location and height of foundation indicated with dashed lines, kind of textures and finishing and height and dimension of chimney.
- Floor plans basically constitute the layout of the rooms, the levels, the key dimensions, thickness of the foundation walls, structures needed for holding the first level, beam sizes, variations in the floor joists, location of the stairwell, size of the windows and dimension of footings. Conventions and symbols are typically used for showing the materials and location of all appliances and fittings in the room.
- Roof plans form an important part in building design as well and includes location of different trusses that are needed, general overcharge of roof in comparison to the floor footprint below, and location of the valleys and ridges.
- Detail drawings focus a small part of construction at a bigger scale for showing how component parts fit together. They are even used for showing the small surface details like decorative elements.
Computer plays a big role in designing and creating these technical drawings making manual drawings almost obsolete. In fact, nowadays most of the drawings are being created by companies that offer professional CAD drawing services.
Grove Design can help you with building drawing plans in UK. Get in touch with them for your architectural design needs.